Specially designated highway lanes that offer new and faster commute options for highway drivers are known as express lanes. Solo drivers who cannot utilize the high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane (carpool lane), use express lanes through a pay-per-use toll. These can effectively help you save time, especially during daily commuting.
Express lanes in Georgia are optional, priced-managed lanes that complement existing intercity and interstates in some of the most congested corridors.
What are express lanes?
Express lanes are specially assigned lanes on highways offering quick, easy, and convenient commuting for drivers. They are excellent travel options for motorists and transit customers to bypass congestion for free-flowing commutes. The lanes are a choice that provides more reliable trip times and improves traffic flow.
What are the benefits offered by express lanes?
Express lanes offer a wide array of benefits. These include:
- Provides more reliable trip times
- Offers more consistent travel speeds
- Enhances transit options and opportunities
- Impacts regional economic growth positively
- Improves air quality
- Generates revenue
What are the guidelines for using express lanes?
Please be mindful of the following express lane guidelines:
- The express lanes are meant to be used for long-distance trips
- Once you enter the lane you cannot exit until the end, and cannot leave through the plastic poles to break out of it.
- If you enter the lane accidentally, remain calm and drive through to the end.
- Whenever you are confused do not stop in between at any time.
- Weaving in and out of the express lanes is illegal since it can cause crashes and you may be subjected to fines.
- Be alert and pay attention to all the signage, and advisories.
- The tolls are collected electronically thus toll-paying drivers should possess special devices such as Peach Pass.
- If involved in a crash or your vehicle breaks down in the express lanes, pull to the left shoulder if you are able to.
What is a Peach Pass?
Peach Pass is a type of payment method designed to help drivers bypass traffic delays and reduce commute times on express highway lanes. Peach Pass primarily serves as a convenient tool for motorists to pay tolls on express lanes, in turn helping them avoid traffic congestion.
Express lanes are excellent alternatives to congested highway lanes especially if you are involved in long-distance daily commuting. You can greatly save time up to 20 to 45 minutes by conveniently bypassing traffic congestion. You can now enjoy a quick and peaceful travel with minimal discomfort and frustration.